Homework 2: Experimental Design II and Privacy
Homework 2 Overview
Along with designing a good experiment, it is absolutely critical that the experiment is ethical. This homework consists of questions on experimental design, on privacy, and a single question on Python programming.
Readings on Privacy
There are five fundamental ideas/topics that is important for every Data Scientist to understand. We have found resources that explain these ideas in the clearest and most concise way; in all, this reading will take less than 25 minutes total.
Read each of the five below:
- Wikipedia: Personally Identifiable Information, 5 minute read (focus on the introduction and the first section: “NIST definition”)
- National Institute of Justice: Common Rule, 3 minute read
- National Institute of Justice: Informed Consent, 5 minute read
- National Institute of Justice: Confidentiality and Privacy Protections, 3 minute read
- Magnus Health: HIPAA & FERPA, 6 minute read
Homework 2 Details
You have only ONE attempt at Homework 2.
When you start Homework 2, you will see the message “Please wait until instructed to start by a proctor”. Since this a homework, this is not necessary, you can begin whenever you are ready!
Log into https://prairielearn.engr.illinois.edu/ to begin.