Guide: Setting Up git for Data Science Discovery
To set up git, there are certain commands you will run:
- Once for the entire semester (“Course Setup”),
- Once for each computer you use (“Computer Setup”),
- Once each time you work on Data Science Discovery (“Assignment Setup”)
To begin to work on assignments and turn in work, you will need to create a git repository for the course.
- Visit: https://edu.cs.illinois.edu/create-ghe-repo/stat107-fa19/
- Follow the instructions to create your repository, coming back here once you have the URL
stat107folder on your Desktop (if you haven’t already)
- Using your command line, run the following commands to navigate into your
cd Desktop cd stat107
- Clone a local copy of your git repository with the following command
(making sure to replace [YOUR-GIT-REPO-URL] with the URL from the “Course Setup”):
git clone YOUR-GIT-REPO-URL
- Navigate into your git directory by going into your NetID-named folder:
- Set up a connection to the
_releaserepository where code will be released for you:
git remote add release https://github-dev.cs.illinois.edu/stat107-fa19/_release.git
- Let git know who you are REPLACE YOUR NAME and EMAIL with your name/email:
git config user.name "Your Name" git config user.email "email@example.com"
Each assignment will provide specific instructions on how to use git to fetch and submit your work.